Wednesday, May 22, 2013

How to Get Ready to Skate a State by Dubbs


This year, as most of you already know, team Ironfeet will be skating across the state of Kansas to raise funds and awareness for the National MS Society. Most of you may also know that we start the fourth year of this amazing journey this coming Saturday!! I wanted to write a little bit today about my feelings going into this big event and the Sk8 the State for MS organization.

Every year the week before we leave there are so many things to do and way too many emotions. Every year I think I cannot believe I'm doing this again, will it be like last year, am I ready mentally and physically, and do we have enough of everything to get us through the week?? What ends up being funny to me is that when we are skating all I can think about is yes we are doing this again, how many states will we do, nothing will be as mentally and physically challenging as the first year, and why do we have so much stuff!!!

Today I'm making checklists of stuff we need to make sure we have on our trip and for the first time in four years I do not fear or worry about this coming Saturday when we launch our bodies and skates into Kansas. I know what to expect and I definitely know it will be tough. I know that no matter how much sunscreen I use I will most likely burn anyways. I also know that I have 3 amazing women with me that need me to motivate them as much as I need them to motivate me when we are getting tired and run down, and know that we will get each other through. I'm excited for the new memories we will make with each other as we travel down this charitable journey together this year and in the future. Lastly, I'm very hopeful and excited to see how much we can raise for the National MS Society.

Sk8 the State for MS is the most unselfish thing I have ever done in my life and probably the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. It makes me feel good to know that I'm helping others just by skating. Sk8 the State has raised around $10,000 so far and we are constantly bringing in money for the National MS Society. We also have teamed up with many Roller Derby teams around the U.S. to fund raise to benefit the National MS Society. I am proud to be a member of the Sk8 organization.

No comments:

Post a Comment